How to file a complaint

Remember, you are a paying customer—so take action if you were denied care that you need!

Private Insurance

  • Step 1. Your insurance company must write to you within two days of their decision to deny care. The letter must explain the reasons for their decision and how you can appeal their decision. The Maryland Attorney General’s Office will help you file an appeal. Call 1-877-261-8807 for more information.
  • Step 2. If you lose your appeal, you can file a complaint with the Maryland Insurance Administration. Call 1-800-492-6116, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A decision will be made within 30 days. The Maryland Insurance Administration can also assist you if you needed emergency care and were denied coverage by your insurance company.


You have the right to appeal any decision about your Medicare services. Your rights are on the back of the Explanation of Medicare Benefits or the Medicare Summary Notice that is mailed to you from a company that handles bills for Medicare. The notices will also tell you why your bill was not paid and what appeal steps you can take.

You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213, TTY 1-800-325-0788 or visit

Public Mental Health System and Medicaid

  • Step 1. Call a public mental health system Care Manager at 1-800-888-1965 or TTY 1-800-735-2258 to complain. A decision must be made within one hour for urgent requests and 24 hours for all other requests.
  • Step 2. If the Grievance Department denies your appeal, you can request a second opinion from the Medical Director at 1-800-888-1965. A decision must be made within one hour for urgent requests and 24 hours for all other requests.
  • If the Medical Director denies your request, he or she will write to you within two days to explain the decision. This letter must include information on what you can do to continue your appeal.

Other Resources

If you are unable to resolve your complaint using the procedures described above, The Maryland Disability Law Center offers callers information, referral and advice. The center also provides full legal representation in a limited number of cases.

Call 410-727-6352, 1-800-233-7201 or TTY 410-727-6387 for information and assistance.